Hot Chilli Chutney
- 450g chillies (I use jalapeno)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 25g root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 quarters of a cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 and a quarter cups white vinegar
- Sterilise the jars in an oven @ 120C for 15 minutes.
- Finely chop chillies, including seeds.
- Mix together the chillies, chopped onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, ginger, salt and oil.
- Transfer to a heavy based pan and fry for 15 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add sugar and vinegar and bring to the boil. Cover pan and boil for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pack into jars, then seal. If you have button topped lids, make sure the button pops down when the jar has cooled to ensure a proper seal.
We are still using the last jar that we made last March. It keeps for a long time, but make sure that once opened, that you keep it in the fridge just to be sure. I reduced the amount of oil from the original recipe because I just found it far too runny. The oil has been halved and I find that the chutney is just right.