I installed a rainwater tank way back in 2007. It worked very well for many years until…..but…..
There is a hole in my tank, dear Liza, dear Liza.
Yes folks, it cracked an sprang a leak. This picture is of my dodgy attempt to fix it up with a soldering iron and some HDPE plastic.
My repair work did not work, so I rang the tank man and found out that the company I bought it from has gone broke. The tank man said that if I could get it to his factory (other side of Melbourne) then he could plastic weld it from the inside for about $450 plus another $100 to get it there. There was no guarantee on the work either. So I bit the bullet and purchased a new rainwater tank of the same 2300 L capacity for $700 with a 5 year guarantee. Luckily we had the money spare from my tax return refund.
We emptied the tank into the pool and Kim and I moved it into the carport today. It was quite easy to move. We are cutting it into thirds with the top and bottom being used as new garden beds, and the three tubes as smaller raised beds. Kim said she will adorn them with her usual art work! One tank fully re-purposed.
Here is the space the tank was positioned in.
The move was quite fortuitous, because we had always wanted a door that gave us access from the back of the house into the pool area, so this was the perfect opportunity. We decided to put the new tank in between the two bedroom windows. Here is the start of the hard stand that the new tank will sit on. All it needs is a bit of concrete that is level, then we can install the tank.
Here is a picture of the new 2300 L tank sitting on the pool deck, waiting to be installed. We bought a more ridged design this time, that hopefully will not split.
So this is where the new door will go. Work start on it on Wednesday.
The pipe work will be moved over to the left and reconnected to the irrigation system.
Anyway, enough tank talk. More pictures when the new one is installed by your truly now that my Dad taught me how.