As the month draws to a close, let’s have a look at how it has been going so far.
- Second Hand – Soap making gear for workshop; including a spoon, chopping board, pot, jugs, etc.
- Second Hand – Clothing; a belt.
- Second Hand – I bought an iPad 2 for Kim from my youngest daughter Megan. She no longer needed it, so I took it off her hands.
- Swapped – Stick blender from L @ 500m2 for a gift!
- New – Today I broke the drought, and purchased something new for hygiene purposes. I bought a new apron for tomorrow’s cheese making course. We could have made one, but ran out of time. I managed to pick it up for $16, so it did not break the bank, and was the only item I bought all month brand new.
- New – Oh, I also bought a few more kit beer cans and some light malt, so I can make some more Aztec Gold Cerveza over the weekend. As it falls under the food and drink category, it was an allowable purchase, and even more so that I am making the beer myself. The batch I bottled a few weeks ago is just so drinkable, that when shared with friends, it won’t last too long!
Just by my observations at the factory outlet today, where I bought the apron, I could tell that not many people are giving second hand much of a chance. There were shoppers laden with bags as they walked out of the shopping centre. I felt abnormal with just an apron in my hand (no bag required) as I travelled back to work.
This challenge has also had an effect upon Kim and Ben, who joined me on the quest for second hand. We found all sorts of wonderful things in the op shops that we visited, some useful, some not. However, we did not stray from our list, which is always a good method that we use to avoid impulse buying.
I might even take another visit to our local op shop on Sunday. You never know what I might find. I do need a new pair of dress jeans, which is how I bought my last pair two years ago.
How did you go during Buy Nothing New Month? Did you give it a go? What was your result?