Today I planted four more fruit trees. That takes the tally up to 19 fruit trees on our 779 sqm block! We have 10 in pots and 9 in the ground.
The four that we planted today are two navel oranges (centre), one mandarin (left) and one blood orange (right). Here is a picture of them across the back of the fence.
This took Adam and I the good part of an hour. We used a good organic soil mix that drains well and I added about 3 handfuls of worm castings over the top of each pot as citrus has roots close to the surface and feeds well by a top application of organic fertiliser.
After lunch, I spent some time pottering around the new greenhouse. I set up a 210 litre water butt that captured rain from the greenhouse so that I can water the plants inside.
I used left over grey water pipe that I had in the shed and connected it to the gutter with clamps.
I tested it with the hose, however all the water drained to the front of the gutter where I had blocked up the holes. So a few bangs with the rubber mallet on the back of the frame soon sorted that problem out. It now drains towards the pipe, and into the water butt.
I then put the frames of the old seed raising tents into the greenhouse so that I could stack the seedling trays on.
Over the next few weeks there should be many more trays of seedlings including some capsicums that I have in a pot about to flower and I will plant out a few pots of tomatoes.
It was quite hot in there at midday. It got to about 37C on a 26C day. A little too hot for most seedlings except for tropical fare. I opened up the top window and the doors and it still only got down to 32C. Trial and error will get the temperature control right.
Kim set up a nice arrangement with the cyclamins that I bought her today. We found an old chair in the pool area and she set it up like this.
Very nice female touch I thought.
Tomorrow, as I am on holidays for a week, I will put a couple of pavers in front of the door and clean up the rest of the garage area. I will also be up at the crack of dawn to clean out the chook house so that I can use the bedding in the fallow bed. I will also add some coconut mulch to each of the new citrus tree pots to keep the moisture in the soil.
It should be another eventful day!