Over the last week, we had two boundary fences replaced. The old ones were rotting, falling apart, and the dog kept escaping, so we bit the bullet and approached our neighbours with a plan. The plan was that we would pay for the entire amount up front, and they could pay us back in monthly instalments.
Both neighbours agreed, which was fantastic, so it was full steam ahead. We chose a wooden fence and the slats and cross beams were plantation pine (FSC), however the support posts were made from red gum, source unknown. I was a bit disappointed that the fence man could not tell us where the wood came from, however it was a more eco friendly choice compared to concrete.
The fence is 6′ 4″ in the old money, and 1.94 metres in metric. We were lucky that we got to keep all the trees along the pool fence, and only had to trim the plum tree a tad. It also gave me an excused to pull out the jasmine that was going feral, and in its place will go some espaliered stone fruit trees. I will drill holes in the existing posts I have and string up some strong wire at about 60 cm apart to grow the lateral branches on. I believe it is a good reuse of an existing structure.
As reported last week, Amy and I ripped down the old fernery where my compost bins are. It has let in so much light that I am contemplating building a couple of garden beds because the light will stream through all day late spring to early autumn. Because they will be near the compost bins, there will be a lot of nutrients in the soil, so I think I will plant the pumpkin patch there. I still have a bit of cleaning up to do, but that is a job for tomorrow.
My friend Phil (aka Wombat064) gave me his mulching machine, so I will put it to good use and mulch up all the branches that I cut off of the trees that I had to trim last weekend.
So, with the cross posts on our side on both fences, that should keep all of the zombies out of the yard. I haven’t seen any yet, so it must be working!