TGoG Podcast 060 – Green Renting with Stacey Warlich

The Greening of Gavin PodcastMy guest this week is Stacey Warlich, who is also the President of the Melton Sustainable Living Group, and she could be classified as a green renter.  I invited Stacey on the show today to talk about green renting as she lives a sustainable lifestyle in the same town as me, but in rental accommodation here in the suburbs.

Listen to the Episode Below (00:35:25)
LIKE WHAT YOU HAVE READ?
If so, please join thousands of others who receive exclusive weekly online recaps & tips, and get a FREE COPY of my eBook, The Greening of Gavin - My First Year of Living Sustainably.

Over the years I have had many blog readers comment that they find it difficult to live a greener lifestyle because they rent. During the show Stacey busts all these myths and much, much more. She talks about how she manages to grow lots of her own fresh fruit and vegetables, and lowers her energy use with a few simple techniques.  There is even a rocket heater involved!  Talk about green renting on steroids.

I really enjoyed this interview because it was full of practical tips from someone who has lived this way for many years. I love her parting words of advice for people wanting to embrace this lifestyle, but who are living in rental accommodation. It is all about your mindset.

Please thank Stacey via comment for being my guest on the show.  It was lovely to bring her into the studio at TGoG headquarters!

If you want to learn more about green renting, there is a great resource at http://www.greenrenters.org/.  It’s full of tips and trips of greening your lifestyle, even if you rent.

Gavin Webber and Stacey Warlich talking about green renting

Gavin Webber and Stacey Warlich talking about green renting (and Holly the dog)

If you enjoyed the podcast, please pop over to iTunes and rate it and leave a review. You can also do the same within Stitcher Radio if you use that service.  It would help me out so much, and elevate the ratings so that others can find out about this podcast and learn about sustainable living in the ‘burbs.

You can subscribe to the show via RSS or iTunes or Stitcher for your portable device.  Just use the subscription buttons below.

RSS Feed for your podcatcher application
iTunes

Stitcher Radio
Listen to Stitcher

Until next time, stay green and keep keen!

Comments

1. Karen says

Excellent interview with Tracey. I also rent and agree that it is no barrier to green living. Thank you both.

Cheers, Karen near Gympie

• Gavin Webber says

No problem Karen. I told Stacey this morning that so many people have listened to the episode, and she was chuffed to bits. It was better coming from someone in the know, because I do not rent myself.

2. Jabir says

Great podcast Gavin and Stacey,Gav had inspired me to start my own veggie patch a few years back and get my own compost started
    I like the sound of the Rocket Stove Heater, would you be open to run a workshop for the public

• Gavin Webber says

Cheers Jabir. Not sure if Stacey does workshops for the rocket stove heater. I did see a workshop at Ceres a while back on how to make them. You may want to check out their site.

Hi Gavin, I’ve been following your blog for a while, but this is the first podcast I’ve listened to! You sound like a proper radio DJ : ) I really enjoyed listening, and will have to come back again for more. The topic of green renting is interesting, but it’s not quite true that anyone can grow things. I have a small balcony that receives absolutely no sunshine ever. In fact, the flat doesn’t receive much light at all. But I’m pretty unlucky in this respect – at least I was, I’m moving next week! It’s great that Stacey has been able to make a garden – I think her landlord is very lucky to have such a responsible, eco-minded tenant : )

• Gavin Webber says

Thanks for the feedback Lindsay. I enjoy recording them as well! Yes, Stacey is quite lucky that she has an understanding landlord, and vice versa. They have a good respect for one another.