The moral imperative to fix or stabilise climate change is a duty that rests upon all of us. We need to get creative about a solution, either with or without the help of the governments of the world, and the time to act is now. Not next year, not after the Global Financial Crisis, but right bloody now! If we wait much longer to begin reducing emissions we are toast, literally.
That is where you come in. If you have been a reader for a while or even visiting for the first time, and you have been inspired to act by some of the things that my family have done, or by other green or sustainable living bloggers, let me know via a comment. While you are writing your comment, have a think about how your action has inspired someone else to act in a positive way. Please, please think hard and long, because I really want to know if all of this stuff I have been doing has been making a difference to anyone out there.
Now, if you do leave a comment, think some more about how you can use the inspiration you felt to further inspire others. I want this thinking process to go viral and reach as many people as it can. Grass roots action is the only thing that can truly make any big difference to our fate. With all the lobbying, denial, and negative political action regarding Climate Change which is one of the two biggest issues (Peak Oil the other biggy) facing us in the next 20 years, we cannot simply sit back and do nothing any longer.
Here are a few tips on how you can get active and inspire others to begin to act on lowering their emissions.
- Start your own blog recording you own journey towards a sustainable lifestyle. If, there is just one comment about how I or others have inspired people to act, then by writing your own, you too will inspire others to act. Media viral!
- Join your local climate action or sustainable living group. Contrary to popular belief, people in these groups are not tree hugging hippies. They are ordinary concerned citizens sick and tired of waiting for political action. Local Viral!
- Write to your local politician and let them know how you feel about their inaction or their so called green policies. Better still, call them. You can find their phone numbers if you look at most government websites. Super viral!
- Attend the next climate rally in your area. These rallies not only lift your spirit whilst you are participating, but if we have enough of them, then our elected officials take notice. Imagine if we had one every month. Don’t you think that the politicians would get sick of us or at least listen? Uber viral!
- Or you can do what Andy Hobsbawn has done and create an outlet for climate change messages in the form of ‘Do the Green Thing’. Super Uber viral!
So what are you waiting for? You must have been inspired by someone even if it is the guy in the video, so hit the post a comment link and get writing. I think I have written enough for today.